At New City Church, our values drive our behaviors. While our salvation has nothing to do with what we do and all to do with what Christ has done, Jesus does call us to follow Him. Because of that, we want to take seriously what Jesus taught, and want to be a church that lives out His Gospel in word and deed. We operate by these five values as a church.
1. Jesus Changes Everything
We believe that Jesus changes everything. New City exists because of that reality. True life is only found in Christ, and we exist to help as many people as possible meet Jesus and grow in a relationship with him.
2. You Can't Do Life Alone
This is our value of community. As followers of Christ, if we are not in any type of community with other Christians, the Scripture tells us repeatedly that we are not following Jesus the way we are commanded to. A community helps us live out the calling and truth of the Gospel and allows us to love and serve one another and our community.
3. Loved People Love People
This is our value of service. We serve one another not to get something from God, but in response to what God did for us through Jesus Christ. At New City Church, we value a desire to model after Jesus and put the needs of others before our own.
4. Grateful People Give
We value financial generosity, not because we care about money, but because we care about our hearts. In Matthew 6:23, Jesus says "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." His point is that our money guides our heart. Because of that, we want to be a generous people for the sake of the Gospel.
5. Moved People Multiply
This is our value of multiplication. The good news of the Gospel is good news for all. Because of that, we desire to live intentional lives where we love those around us and share the Gospel with others in word and deed.
The Gospel of Jesus is the foundation for all we believe and do at New City Church.
“For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.” (1 Corinthians 3:11)
“So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, in whom the whole structure, being joined together, grows.” (Ephesians 2:19-21)
The good news is that God created us for a perfect relationship with him. The bad news is that we have all sinned. That sin is an affront to the holiness and justice of God.
The result is that sin makes us dead, not simply bad. Therefore we cannot solve it. The good news is that God is a God of mercy and grace. God the Father sent God the Son, Jesus Christ, to live the life we could not live and to die the death we should have died to be the one and only atoning sacrifice for sin.
After that, he was resurrected to triumph over sin and bring new life. He appeared to over 500 people over a period of 40 days before ascending to heaven (1 Corinthians 15).
Therefore, we believe that a person is saved by grace alone through faith alone in Jesus Christ alone as told in scripture alone.
We are saved personally, but never privately. The Bible has no category of following Jesus, but not being a part of a local church.
“But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.” (1 Peter 2:9-11)
“Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy...to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless.” (Ephesians 5:25-27)
Simply put, the Gospel is the good news of what Jesus has done for us, and through him, we have nothing to prove and no one to impress.
- THERE IS ONE TRIUNE GOD: There is only one true and living God who is the Creator of the universe. He exists eternally in three Persons – the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- THE BIBLE IS GOD’S WORD: The Bible is God’s written revelation of Himself to mankind divinely given through human authors who were inspired by the Holy Spirit. It is entirely true, totally sufficient, and completely authoritative for matters of life and faith.
- PEOPLE ARE CREATED IN GOD’S IMAGE: Human Beings are created by God to bear His image. They are the crowning work of His creation worthy of love, dignity, and respect regardless of matters like age, race, gender, or class.
- PEOPLE ARE IN NEED OF REDEMPTION: Because of the Fall, the image of God in people is distorted but not lost. All people have disobeyed God willfully through sin; thus inheriting both physical and spiritual death and the need for redemption. All human beings are born with a sin nature and into an environment inclined toward sin. Only by the grace of God through Jesus Christ can they experience salvation.
- JESUS IS BOTH LORD AND CHRIST: Jesus is both fully God and fully human. He was born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, died on the Cross as a substitute for mankind, was raised from the dead, ascended into heaven, and will one day return.
- JESUS IS THE ONLY WAY OF SALVATION: Salvation comes only through Jesus Christ, the only mediator between God and man. No other religion, belief, or person can reconcile God and man. He alone can provide forgiveness and eternal salvation.
- SALVATION IS BY FAITH ALONE: Salvation comes only through a faith relationship with Jesus Christ, the Savior, as a person repents of sin and receives Christ’s forgiveness and eternal life. Salvation is instantaneous and accomplished solely by the power of the Holy Spirit through the Word of God. This salvation is wholly of God by grace on the basis of Christ’s life, death and resurrection, not on the basis of human works. All the redeemed are secured in Christ forever.
- THE CHURCH IS CHRIST’S BODY: The Holy Spirit immediately places all people who put their faith in Jesus Christ into one united spiritual body, the Church, of which Christ is the head.
- JESUS CHRIST WILL RETURN: God will bring the world to its appropriate end in His own time and in His own way. At that time, Jesus Christ will return personally and visibly in glory to the earth. Christ will judge both the saved and unsaved. Those who have trusted Christ will receive a glorified body and dwell forever with the Lord. Those who have not trusted in Christ will spend eternity in hell, the place of everlasting punishment.
New City Church is part of Acts 29, a diverse, global family of church-planting churches. For more information about Acts 29, check out acts29.com.